Sunday, November 13, 2011

Photos of my Micro Organisms/ Last Observation

Prescott G.W. 1951. Algae of the Western Great Lakes Area. Dubugue, Iowa. W.M.C. Brown Company Publishers.        
This first picture is of an Ostracoda (Cypricerous Reticulatus). From my past blogs, I have discussed this little guy. They are nicknamed "seed shrimp" because they sort of look like little seeds. From looking under the microscope, you can see through these "seed shrimp," which I found really cool.

Smith D.G. 2001. Pennaks Freshwater Invertebrates of US. 4th edition. John Wiley & Sons Incorporated. 132 p.
The photo above is of the Rotifera Philodinia. I have also talked about this organism in a past blog. What first caught my eye about this organism was it's inchworm way of moving. During my last observation, I noticed more of these than ever. There was a cluster of about 5 that looked as if they were all hanging out "standing" on the side of the aquarium. Unfortunately when I had the opportunity to take pictures, I couldn't locate them.

Prescott G.W. 1951. Algae of the Western Great Lakes Area. Dubugue, Iowa. W.M.C. Brown Company Publishers. 880 p.
This picture (above) is an Oscillatoria. I found several of these in my aquarium. They did not move but they looked really cool to me.

Prescott G.W. 1951. Algae of the Western Great Lakes Area. Dubugue, Iowa. W.M.C. Brown Company Publishers. 
Last but not least, this is Euchlanis. I found many of these in my Micro Aquarium. To me, they look like the Horseshoe crabs at an aquarium I went to as a kid, just because of the shape. Some of them would swim really fast, so it was difficult to get a decent picture.

During this last observation I had the opportunity to get photos of some of the life I have seen through out these past few weeks. I noticed that there was more life this last observation than any of the past weeks. My micro aquarium was starting to look dirty and organisms were swimming around everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment