Saturday, November 5, 2011

Week Three

I was very glad to see some more life and identify what I saw. I identified something I saw in week two. It looked as if something was eating another organism from the inside out, but really what I saw was an Ostracod. I learned that they are nicknamed "sea shrimp." They are encased between two shells that you can see through. Interesting enough, I learned that they constantly micro filter the water. While looking through the microscope, I also discovered a funny-moving organism which I later identified as a Rotifier. These don't have shells, they have a revolving wheel organ that is pretty unique, made of two disks and rotating cilia. These organisms move like an inchworm.

Rainis. Bruce. Guide to Micro Life. A division of Grolier Publishing. Damnury, Connecticut. 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment